Mardi Himal trek, which can be completed in 5 days, is a well-known shorter trek within the Annapurna region of Nepal. It's of moderate difficulty and covers about 45 kilometres, reaching up to 4,500 meters at its highest point.
This 5-day trek begins in the scenic city of Pokhara, leading trekkers through vibrant green forests, valleys filled with rhododendron flowers, and villages inhabited by the Gurung people. The pathway is less busy than other popular Annapurna region treks, offering a serene experience for those looking for a peaceful environment.
The shorter Mardi Himal trek allows one to experience the Himalayas' majestic beauty without the bustling crowds found on more frequented routes. Travellers get to traverse remote villages, gaining insights into the local cultures and lifestyles.
The journey to the base camp involves walking through forests of rhododendron, crossing bridges, and navigating small streams, presenting a rewarding physical challenge with its steep ascents and descents.
One of the highlights of the Mardi Himal Short Trek is the awe-inspiring vistas of the Himalayas, including views of renowned peaks like Annapurna, Machhapuchhre, and Hiunchuli. The surrounding landscapes are rich with diverse plant and animal life, including the Himalayan Monal, Nepal's national bird, fluttering through dense forests of rhododendron, oak, and pine.
The Mardi Himal short trek is an excellent choice for those desiring to witness the grandeur of the Himalayas. It provides a unique combination of remarkable landscapes, challenging terrains, and rich cultural experiences, allowing one to explore Nepal's natural splendour in a limited time frame.
Mardi Himal Short Trek Highlights
- Marvel at the awe-inspiring Annapurna range and numerous Himalayan peaks
- Embark on a trek amidst lush forests abundant with rhododendron, fir, pine, oak, and more
- Immerse yourself in the unique experience of tea house trekking
- Discover serenity and rejuvenation while exploring the captivating Annapurna region
- Ascend to the remarkable Mardi Himal Base Camp, where you can witness a stunning sunrise and captivating landscapes
- Gain insights into the mountain lifestyle as you descend from your adventure.
Permits for Mardi Himal Trek 5 Days
You need some permits to go trekking at Mardi Himal in Nepal.
TIMS Permit: Everyone must have a TIMS (Trekkers' Information Management System) card. You can get it from the tourism office in Kathmandu or Pokhara, and it costs USD 20 for one person or USD 10 each if you're in a group.
ACAP Permit: If you're trekking in the Annapurna region, like Mardi Himal, you also need an Annapurna Conservation Area Permit (ACAP), which is USD 30. You can get it in Kathmandu or Pokhara at the tourism or ACAP office.
Remember, you can't trek here alone; you need at least one other person with you. So, it might be easier to use a trekking agency. They can get the passes for you and help with other stuff you need.
Important Tips For 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek
Here are a few things to remember before you start your hike to Mardi Himal to make your journey more enjoyable and worry-free.
- Drink lots of water. You’ll sweat more when you walk, and if you don’t drink enough, you can get dehydrated.
- Carry water purifying tablets or devices. This way, you can make sure the water you find along the way is clean to drink.
- If you're hiking in the summer or during the rainy season, don’t forget bug spray and table salt to keep bugs and other creepy-crawlies away.
- Going with a guide is a great idea. They can show you the way, keep you safe, and help you find places to eat and sleep.
- Bring enough money with you. Since Mardi Himal is a newer trekking route, you might not find many ATMs, so it’s good to have cash on hand.